10th SUPPORT BATTALION
Constituted 3 February 1944 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 145th Quartermaster Battalion, Mobile.
Activated 29 March 1944 at Camp Smith, Texas.
Reorganized and redesignated 6 November 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 10th Mountain Quartermaster Battalion and assigned to the 10th Mountain Division (organic elements organized from existing units).
Inactivated 30 November 1945 at Camp Carson, Colorado.
Battalion broken up 18 June 1948 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Company as the 10th Quartermaster Company, an element of the 10th Mountain Division.
Companies A, B, and C as Heavy Mortar Companies, 85th, 86th, and 87th Infantry respectively - herafter separate lineages.
Allocated 25 June 1948 to the Regular Army.
Activated 1 July 1948 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
Inactivated 14 June 1958 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
Redesignated 1 April 1985 as Headquarters and Supply Company, 10th Supply and Transport battalion, an element of the 10th Mountain Division, and activated at Fort Drum, New York (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated).
Reorganized and redesignated 16 October 1991 as 10th Support Battalion.
*CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Per fess dancetty of two points enhanced azure and gules (brick red), a saltire buff and in chief a garb of wheat or.
CREST: On a wreath of the colors (or and gules [brick red]) a winged demi lion of the last, holding in his paws a wagon wheel of ten spokes of the first.
MOTTO: Proud to Support
The colors buff and brick red are associated with the Quartermaster Corps and the Transportation Corps respectively. The garb of wheat is symbolic of supply. The saltire is representative of a crossroads and also forms the Roman numeral X, the unitís numerical designation. The pointed brick red areas with the blue above are suggestive of the peaks of the Apennine Mountains and the Po Valley where the unitís predecessor, the 10th Mountain Quartermaster Battalion served during World War II. The winged lion is emblematic of courage and the swift performance of duties. The wheel, the type once used on wagons for the transport of supplies, with ten spokes, also alludes to the unit's designation.
The insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms.
*Note: In recent years the 10th Forward Support Battalion, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) has also participated in Hurricane Hugo relief operations in Florida 1992; Operation Restore Hope, Somalia 1993; Operation Uphold Democracy, Haiti 1994. Inducted as a Distinguished Unit of the (Quartermaster Regiment) in 1995.