US Army Quartermaster Foundation
Fort Lee, Virginia


 

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
260th QUARTERMASTER BATTALION

260th Quartermaster Battalion Distinctive Unit InsigniaConstituted 19 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Service Battalion 

Activated 29 January 1943 at Camp Swift, Texas 

Reorganized and redesignated 8 February 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion; Companies A, B, C, and D as the 4054th, 4055th, 4056th and 4067th Quartermaster Service Companies, respectively hereafter separate lineages   

Inactivated 23 November 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts   

Redesignated 13 October 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion and allocated to the Regular Army 

Activated 4 January 1967 at Fort Lee, Virginia 

Reorganized and redesignated 21 September 1977 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion 

Reorganized and redesignated 16 January 1981 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion  

Reorganized and redesignated 16 September 1982 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 260th Quartermaster Battalion

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War II
Normandy
Northern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace

Southwest Asia
Defense of Saudi Arabia
Liberation and Defense of Kuwait
Cease-Fire

DECORATIONS

Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA

Army Superior Unit Award, (Olympics) Streamer embroidered 1996


260th Quartermaster Battalion Distinctive Unit InsigniaDistinctive Unit Insignia
(Unit Crest)

            Description:  A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in width overall, consisting of two gold keys saltirewise with wards up, behind a black wheel with six wavy spokes, above the motto and wheel a blue semi-circle, in base an area of red, all above a gold scroll inscribed "THE NECTAR FOR VICTORY" in black.

            Symbolism:  Blue is a color traditionally associated with the Quartermaster Corps. Brick red, representative of the Transportation Corps, alludes to the unit's transportation capability. The crossed keys symbolize Quartermaster units as the keeper of supplies. The black wheel with wavy spokes refers to the continuous supply of bulk petroleum. The two (2) keys, the six (6) spokes of the wheel and circle (0) of the hub, further allude to the numerical designation of the unit.

            Background:  The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved on 6 Jul 1967. It was amended on 26 Feb 1993 to include metric measurements in the description and revise the symbolism. 

260th Quartermaster Battalion Coat of ArmsCoat of Arms
(Displayed on Battalion Flag)

            Blazon:

                        Shield:  Per fess Azure and Gules (brick red), two keys saltirewise wards up and out Or surmounted by a bezant charged with a wheel with six wavy spokes Sable, hub Yellow.

                        Motto:  THE NECTAR FOR VICTORY.    

            Symbolism:  Blue is a color traditionally associated with the Quartermaster Corps. Brick red, representative of the Transportation Corps, alludes to the unit's transportation capability. The crossed keys symbolize Quartermaster units as the keeper of supplies. The black wheel with wavy spokes refers to the continuous supply of bulk petroleum. The two (2) keys, the six (6) spokes of the wheel and circle (0) of the hub, further allude to the numerical designation of the unit.

            Background:  The coat of arms was approved on 26 Feb 1993.

Return To: Distinguished Units of the Regiment

Hit Counter since 19 June 2002

Return To:  Quartermaster History Page

Quartermaster Foundation Page

Quartermaster Museum Page Quartermaster Homepage