A convoy from the 266th Quartermaster Battalion (Direct Support) rolls down the highway outside Saigon, South Vietnam
(original art by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Keith K. Fukumitsu)
266th Quartermaster Battalion
Constituted 18 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 266th Quartermaster Service Battalion.
Activated 28 August 1942 at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.
Battalion broken up 6 February 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 266th Quartermaster Battalion, inactivated 18 May 1946 in Germany.
Allotted 1 March 1963 to the Regular Army.
Activated 25 March 1963 at Fort Lewis, Washington (organic elements constituted 1 March 1963 and activated 25 March 1963).
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment reorganized and redesignated 20 July 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 266th Supply and Service Battalion (remainder of 266th Quartermaster Battalion concurrently inactivated in Vietnam).
Inactivated 14 March 1973 at Oakland Army Base, California.
Redesignated 12 February 1987 as the 266th Quartermaster Battalion; Headquarters concurrently transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Lee, Virginia.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1966-1969.
Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1969-1970.
Motto: THE PROVIDERS.
Symbolism: The wavy bar represents the Rhineland and the gold bars between the five gold roundels are symbolic of direct support of combat troops throughout five campaigns in Italy, France, Germany.Background: The coat of arms was approved on 4 May 1964.
Symbolism: The wavy bar represents the Rhineland and the gold bars between the five gold roundels are symbolic of direct support of combat troops throughout five campaigns in Italy, France and Germany.
Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 266th Quartermaster Battalion on 4 May 1964. It was redesignated on 27 Dec 1966 for the 266th Supply and Service Battalion. The insignia was redesignated and the description amended on 9 Oct 1986 for the 266th Quartermaster Battalion.
The 266th Quartermaster Battalion became a Distinguished Unit of the (Quartermaster) Regiment (DUOR) in 1994.