US Army Quartermaster Foundation
Fort Lee, Virginia



34th originial art from The Institute of Heraldry34th SUPPORT BATTALION

Constituted 13 August 1946 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 34th Quartermaster Battalion (Philippine Scouts).

Activated 28 December 1946 in the Philippine Islands.

Inactivated 5 December 1948 on Okinawa (Philippine Scouts concurrently removed as a parenthetical designation).

Activated 8 August 1952 at Sharpe General Depot, Lathrop, California (organic elements constituted 25 January 1961 in the Regular Army; activated 2 February 1961 at Fort Lee, Virginia; inactivated 25 June 1965 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina).

Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 34th Quartermaster Battalion reorganized and redesignated 20 July 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 34th Supply and Service Battalion.

Inactivated 15 April 1971 in Vietnam.

Redesignated 30 November 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 34th Support Battalion, assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division, and activated at Fort Hood, Texas (organic elements of the former 34th Quartermaster Battalion concurrently redesignated as elements of the 34th Support Battalion; activated 21 April 1974-21 February 1975 at Fort Hood, Texas).

Relieved 21 July 1975 from assignment to the 1st Cavalry Division and assigned to the 6th Cavalry Brigade.

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

Vietnam
Defense
Counteroffensive
Counteroffensive, Phase II
Tet Counteroffensive
Counteroffensive, Phase IV
Counteroffensive, Phase V
Counteroffensive, Phase VI
Tet 69/Counteroffensive
Summer-fall 1969
Winter-spring 1970
Sanctuary counteroffensive
Counteroffensive, Phase VII

DECORATIONS

Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered PLEIKU PROVINCE

Valorous Unit Award, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1970

Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968

Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered VIETNAM 1968-1969

DISTINCTIVE UNIT INSIGNIA
(
Unit Crest)

34th originial art from The Institute of HeraldryThe insignia is the shield and motto of the coat of arms. The insignia was originally approved on 26 September 1962 for wear by the 34th Quartermaster Battalion.

COAT OF ARMS
(Displayed on Battalion Flag)

SHIELD: Azure, on a bend indented argent, seven billets, three in chief and four in base, corners overlapped alternately of the first and buff, between in chief a sword and in base a key bendwise or.

CREST: On a wreath of the colors (or and azure) a dexter demi vol elevated of the second issuing from the top of a billet of the like charged with a plate, all in front of a bezant bearing three barrulets gules and all between two mounds vert.

MOTTO: Provisus Vires (Provide Support).

The colors buff and blue are those used by the Quartermaster Corps. The heraldic billets (oblong shapes) allude to those official documents (requisitions, records, etc) which are necessary to the handling of military supplies, symbolized by the sword and key. The three red barrulets on gold refer to Vietnam where the unit participated in twelve campaigns. Blue represents the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the organization while it was a support element of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), the billet and wing alluding to the support of the Division, the green mounds denoting the "high country" of Pleiku Province and the plate (silver) representing operation "Silver City". The red barrulets also refer to the Meritorious Unit Commendations awarded the unit while the colors red, white and blue refer to the Valorous Unit Award. The mounds also simulate islands and the bezant a tropical sun; together they allude to the Philippine Islands where the unit was first activated.

Return To: Distinguished Units of the Regiment

Hit Counter

Return To:  Quartermaster History Page

Quartermaster Foundation Page

Quartermaster Museum Page Quartermaster Homepage