Constituted 23 February 1943 in the Army of the United States as the 553d Quartermaster Service Battalion.
Activated 25 June 1943 at Camp Ellis, Illinois.
Battalion broken up 20 September 1943, and the elements reorganized and re-designated as follows:
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 553d Quartermaster Battalion
Companies A-D as 3188th, 3189th, 3190th, and 3191st Quartermaster Service Companies respectively; there after, separate lineages.
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 553d Quartermaster Battalion inactivated 11 November 1945at Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyoming.
Redesigned 10 January 1967 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 553d Supply and Service Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army.
Activated 1 March 1967 at Fort Hood, Texas.
Reorganized and re-designated HHC Detachment 553d Support Battalion 15 September 1982.
Reorganized and re-designated 16 October 1993 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 553d Support Battalion.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDITS
World War II
Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA
since 24 June 2002