97th QUARTERMASTER BATTALION
Constituted 1 May 1936 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 97th Quartermaster Battalion (Bakery) and allotted to the Eighth Corps area.
Redesignated 1 April 1942 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 97th Quartermaster Bakery Battalion.
Activated 25 June 1942 at Camp Swift, Texas.
Reorganized and redesignated 8 September 1943 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 97th Quartermaster Battalion.
Inactivated 28 September 1945 at Camp Anza, California.
Activated 9 March 1949 in Germany; concurrently, remainder of battalion organized by redesignation of existing units.
Inactivated 15 December 1951 in Germany.
Activated 4 August 1965 in Germany; inactivated 30 June 1975 in Germany.
CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT
World War II
Meritorious Unit Commendation, Streamer embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER (97th QM Bn dted; GO 85, Hq V Corps dated 24 Dec 1944)
COAT OF ARMS
SHIELD: Azure, on a bend wavy or between two fleurs-de-lis of the like a bend let sable.
CREST: On a wreath of the colors (or and azure) a lion passant guardant of the second grasping a stalk of wheat gules.
MOITO: Petroleum Power Victory
The gold wavy band from the former coat of arms of the Rhineland, refers to the Battalion's service in Germany and Central Europe during World War II. The smaller black band represents petroleum, often called "black gold"; it refers to the unit's mission of storing and distributing petroleum and petroleum products. The two fleurs-de-lis refer to participation in the Northern France and Ardennes-Alsace campaigns. Gold, representing buff, combined with blue stands for the Quartermaster Corps. The lion, taken from the arms of Normandy commemorates the Battalion's baptism of fire in Normandy while the stalk of wheat alludes to bread and to the unit's bakery mission during World War II. The wheat is scarlet in reference to the color of the streamer for the Meritorious Unit Commendation which was awarded to the Battalion for its service in the European Theater.
On a blue disc a wavy black bend fimbriated gold between two gold fleurs-de-lis; overall a blue passant guardant lion grasping a stalk of red wheat. The motto PETROLEUM POWER VICTORY is blue on a gold border. The sample of the distinctive insignia was approved for wear on 16 February 1968.